Carla Hall's Crinkle Cookies Recipe in PEOPLE

By  |  9 Comments

06/28/2013 at 02:20 PM EDT

Carla Hall's Crinkle Cookies Recipe in PEOPLE

Carla Hall’s Crinkle Cookies

Kana Okada. Inset: Michael N. Todaro/Wireimage

The chef and owner of the artisan cookie company Alchemy by Carla Hall whips up a special recipe for your holiday party and is featured in this week’s PEOPLE.

Crinkle Cookies

Makes About 4 Dozen

4 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
¼ cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Microwave butter and cocoa in a glass bowl on high for 45 seconds. Whisk mixture until smooth; set aside.
3. Whisk together egg, sugars, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually add egg mixture to chocolate mixture, whisking until well-blended.
4. Whisk flour and baking powder together in a small bowl. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture until well-blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Cover and chill dough for 30 minutes or until dough is firm enough to handle easily.
5. Place powdered sugar in a shallow bowl. Scoop dough and form into ¾-in. balls; roll in powdered sugar. Arrange cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes. Cool cookies 1 minute on baking sheet; transfer to wire rack and cool completely

Videos

9 Comments

1. Kobe

December 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Please rate my first chapter from 1-10! Thanks for reading!

Chapter 1: An End is a Beginning

Dorrington School
    Crowded Pathway
    1330 hrs

I watched the group of obnoxious girls putting down their helpless victim. It was the insult before the injury. Like sprinkling salt before the wound is cut, knowing that the salt will do its job once the cut appears. It was totally pathetic, watching that scene.

“Well, well. Look what we found here today, ladies. And who might this useless lump blocking me be?” Beatrice said to her group of cronies following right behind her, cackling louder than a gathering of witches at the sadistic fun they were anticipating.

The timid girl, Bree, peeked at the owner of the voice, and quickly turned her gaze at the floor. Beatrice did not like being stared at by her victims.

“So,” Beatrice continued in an irritatingly high pitch, “What should I do about this problem? You revolting piece of garbage standing here, what do you think?” Her cronies leaned forward, sensing something about to happen. When Bree kept silent, Beatrice suddenly screeched, “I asked you a question; answer me!” With a mask of anger on her face, Beatrice slapped the girl hard.

The hall had been unusually quiet at the start of Beatrice’s screech; now it was stark silent. The resounding crack was heard easily, every tone echoed around the hallway, making most people there wince. Though the girl, Bree, was still looking downwards, it was easy to make out the red imprint of a palm and five fingers on her cheek. Soundless tears dripped down from her chin, and she shook with unheard sobs.

“You dare to cry here, in front of me, when it’s you insulting me and me graciously teaching you a lesson!” Beatrice’s shriek erupted, shattering the quiet.

That’s when I broke too. I just couldn’t stand it. Watching it, but not doing anything, was simply impossible. I don’t know how the other students see it every single day, and yet manage to carry on life as usual. Unlike them, I couldn’t.

“Don’t you think that’s enough?” My calm voice sounded out. Despite what other may have thought, I wasn’t faking the calmness. I wasn’t scared at all. I had stood up to her kind before.

“Oh, look, a little rabbit, come to challenge to big, bad wolf. Don’t tell me – you think I’ve gone too far?”

“Nope, I don’t. When it comes to stupidity, perverseness, deplorability, repulsiveness and contemptibility, you’ve gone way off the charts anyway.” I replied, counting each of the points of on my fingers, hardly even breaking a sweat to find a suitable response.

“You… you…” Beatrice was obviously having a harder time than me thinking of something to say. She took a step forward. Her cronies copied her. “No, I’ll settle this one myself.” she told them.

“You want to fight me?” I asked, pulling the corners of my mouth up in a small smile, though the situation was hardly humourous. “You, covered in that ample outer layer of flab, want to challenge me?”

That did it for her. Beatrice lunged for me, but I was expecting it. I leapt deftly out of the way and got behind her, tapping a sweet spot around the shoulders. She jumped as though she had received an electric shock, which was fun to watch but didn’t last for more than a second or two. Recovering from the attack, she was ready to fight again, and this time, fuelled even more by hatred, plainly burning in her.

She threw her body at me again, and I attempted to dodge it. But, her stupid shoe got caught up with my leg, sending me flying to the floor. On the floor, she had the advantage, with weight and size. I tried to clamber up, only to be blocked by a towering figure over me. Beatrice wiped the sweat from her eyes and started talking nonsense again. “Now, you’re going to learn what happens when you’re rude to me.”

I smiled at her, a grin not of joy but of contempt and satisfaction that I would finally settle her and teach her a good, hopefully lifelong lesson. Hardly intimidated by her menacing figure, I said, “Now, you’re going to learn to leave people alone and stop being such a harassment to society.” Then, I reached up my hand, balled into a fist, and drove it directly into her nose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Carla, what were you thinking?” My mother sighed from the front seat.

“That she was such a bitc- er, irritating person who deserved to be punished.” I answered honestly, changing my vulgarity at the last moment – Dad didn’t like them.

“Language.” Dad reminded in a stern tone.

“I know, but still, dear.” Mum replied.

“Mum, you should have seen her! It was like watching someone kick a dog. And kick it again and again and again.”

“Yes, but if someone kicks a dog, do you kill the dog kicker?”

“It was a metaphor.”

“I know that too, dear.”

“They expelled me?”
    “Yes.” That was kind of unfair. I mean, she was just asking for it. Doing what she did, and then, towering over me, and then forgetting to pin my arms down, practically offering such a wonderful opportunity. And after that, when Beatrice had stumbled away, nose bleeding and all, everyone had cheered for me like I was a pop star of something, and it was so cool. Besides, that aside, I had been doing a service to the community. Guess they just didn’t appreciate that, seeing as I had been kicked out from eleven schools so far for doing similar things. It seemed that every school had its bunch of idiots who sorely needed a lesson.

“We’ve decided to try this rather interesting school. It’s a half-boarding school. For school days, you board at the school. For weekends, you come home. It’s to encourage independence while at the same time making sure that children get to bond with their parents. I think it’s a wonderful idea. And, by the way, it’s also a school for gifted kids.”
    I had been tested two years ago and found out that my IQ was high enough to be accepted by almost any school, gifted or not.

“Sounds interesting.” I said, knowing that even though the idea was new, the novelty of it would wear off in about two hours. “Where is it?”

“Not far from here, dear. You’re starting next week.”

“You guys sure find schools fast.”

“An acquired skill, dear.”

For a moment, an apology hovered on my lips. Sorry, Mum and Dad, I wanted to say. Sorry for troubling all of you so much everytime I get kicked out of a school for doing something that I don’t regret doing but is not really accepted. But everytime I see the look of disappointment and fatigue on your face, I really feel so guilty. And thank you for accepting the way I am, and seeing things the way I do, even if you don’t do things like me. Thanks for not scolding me everytime I get kicked out. Thanks for knowing that I’m trying my best and not pressurizing me to do better.
    Thanks… for being my parents. But, after a moment, I swallowed her unspoken thoughts and the lump in my throat, and looked out of the window to distract myself. I wasn’t one for emotional speeches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hello, Sir and Madam. Nice to see you again, Carla.” our odd-jobs man called from the front door. Jack wasn’t really an odd-jobs man; it was just that it was hard to pinpoint his exact job. He did anything and everything that was needed, be it driving the car, tending to the garden or answering calls for my parents. Not only that, he was also my best friend. He was there when I needed someone to talk to, taking the role of a parent when mine weren’t around.

“Hey, Jack!” I called out, hugging him.

He disentangled himself from me. “Well, is this your twelfth or thirteenth?”

“The next one will be the thirteenth school, I think.” I replied.

“You sure get through them fast.” he commented, a small frown on his face.
    “Oh well. Maybe the next school will be the one.” My mother said, joining the conversation. My parents believed that they would eventually find one school where I could settle down in and stay there. Everytime I got kicked out, they’d say that it would be the next one. It was their way of keeping their hopes alive.

“Of course, Madam.” Jack said the correct thing, as always.

I walked up the stairs into the house I loved, surrounded by the people I loved, doing the things I loved. It was just too bad that I couldn’t stay here forever.

2. Xedo

January 3, 2014 at 3:29 pm

I’m going to Boston this weekend and I want to know some fun things to do. There are a few guidelines:

Bad things:
    I’m 16 so nothing a minor can’t do.
    No tours (haunted tours DO NOT apply to this. I would like suggestions for haunted tours.)
    Nothing super-expensive ($200+ = no, no.)

Good things:
    I’d LOVE year-round theme parks or haunted houses.
    Things that are unique to Boston, that I can’t do anywhere else.
    Specialty restaurants and stuff.
    Fun museums.

3. Nick

January 10, 2014 at 8:13 pm

When David Duchovney and Nia Vardalos are in the ‘Handle Bar’ what is the song playing? I think it may be Hall and Oates.

4. Austin

January 11, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Everybody is making such a big deal out of what happened…. and I can’t find out because my computer wont allow me to watch episodes… so please just tell me ’cause i kinda want to know….

5. stephen m

February 12, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Okay, so here’s my story. I’ll substitute in fake names just to make this easier to explain.

Alright so I’m a sophomore in high school. One day, I’m sitting in my math class and this girl that I know, named Nancy, walks up to me and asks me for my phone number. I’d known her for quite a while because we’ve gone to school together since we were little, and I’ve had many classes with her in the past. She texted me asking what’s up. I asked her why she wanted to text me, and she said it was because she wanted to get to know me. She said that I was an interesting person and she wanted to be my friend. So we texted for a little bit and after just a short time, she told me about her friend Carla. She said that she’s thought for a long time that Carla and I would go great together. So, with Nancy’s help, I got to know Carla. I texted her on occasion, and after a while, we became friends. We’d talk in school all the time, and started texting more frequently. By this time, Nancy and I have become really close friends. One day, Carla and I texted all night long. This is when I realized that I had a serious crush on Carla. She and I started texting every single day. Nancy soon told me that Carla had a crush on me. After a little while of texting constantly, I went to a party at Carla’s house. It was me, Carla, Nancy, 8 other girls, and my friend Chuck (I only brought him because Carla told me to bring a guy friend so I wouldn’t be the only guy). That is when I was sure I was going to ask Carla out. So the following monday, I asked Carla to be my girlfriend and she said yes. This was the week before Christmas break. We started holding hands in the halls and hugging constantly. Over Christmas break, we texted almost constantly. Sometimes, I would get random texts in the middle of the night saying how much she missed me. I kept telling her how beautiful and perfect she was. When we got back from Christmas break, we stood and hugged each other for like 15 minutes straight. I also kissed her for the first time. At around this time, one of Carla’s friends Paul who she has been friends with since like third grade, got word of us going out. Carla and Paul had gone out very briefly last year (only for three days, Paul ruined it by kissing another girl) and was very upset about me and Carla. He kept trying to break us up. Also, Carla’s other guy friend Tommy, who is notorious for being manipulative, also became seriously jealous of me because he’s had a crush on Carla for a very long time. Carla told me it didn’t bother her though, so we kept seeing each other. That friday, Carla started acting weird. Nancy told me it had something to do with Paul and Tommy. I texted Carla regarding how she was acting, and she said something to the effect of she didn’t plan on breaking up over text, but she couldn’t wait. She thought I was an amazing guy, a perfect boyfriend, and a reliable friend. But for some reason, she just didn’t have romantic feelings for me any more. I still have deep feelings for her, and everyone tells me I need to get over it, but I can’t. I still really care about her. Now, for a brief moment, I started to have feelings for Nancy. She is not nearly as good looking as Carla, but for some reason it just seemed right. But today, I got a text message from Tommy. It said that the only reason Carla broke up with me is becasue Nancy forced her too. According to him, Nancy likes me a lot and was jealous of Carla. According to Tommy, Nancy was trying to set Carla and Paul up so that she could have me to herself. Do you think Carla still likes me? Do you think Nancy likes me? What should I do? I still really like Carla, and I really want her to be my girlfriend! But all I really want is for her to be happy, and I don’t want to freak her out with all this. What should I do? I feel so confused and alone without Carla. I feel like everyone in the world hates me. I have no friends and I have a desperate need for companionship. Also, Nancy and Paul dated for like 6 weeks at the end of last year. Nancy has been flirting with Paul, and she’s always saying things to me like “I think I might like him. But I won’t go out with him if it means I’m going to lose you as a friend.”. According to tommy, this is just a ploy to make me jealous. I really think I need Carla in my life! I can’t function without her! But I need Nancy to stay my friend. What should I do?

6. Gage

February 12, 2014 at 8:24 pm

What are your favorite Vocaloid tunes !!! tell me !! I wanna hear even more !!: D.

Thank you for your time !!

7. Rassling Fundamentals

February 16, 2014 at 11:37 pm

The renters name is Carla Barnhart.

8. Ryan Z

February 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

The songs must have an instrumental. And it can be old school or new school.

9. Squall Leonhart

March 23, 2014 at 12:45 am

Okay so I think it comes on lifetime, it is about this family and they end up in an abandoned house for some reason and in the basement is preserved fruits? I know it sounds kinda weird, and theres not much detail, but PLEASE try to help?